01/2022 UPDATE: The VI Trail Alliance was granted 13,000 under this award in 2021. This represented half of the funds required for the project. The project was to improve the existing trails on the Windsor Farm properties. This required reopening trails, mapping them and creating an online resource for users. It also called for the installation of directional signage along the trails and the addition of picnic tables and benches as rest stops for walkers and mountain bikers. In order to complete the project VITAL combined funding received from the NPS Cost Share Project.
This upgraded trail network will be available to the public at the end of January 2022.
New 2021 grant application to transform Windsor Trails into world class trail system.
- April 14, 2021 – Applications are due to 8:00 (ET)
- June 20201 – All applicant will be notified of their status by email
- July 14, 2021 – MOU (memorandum of understanding) and vendor forms to be completed and returned by grantees.
- July 28, 2021 (tentative) – Public announcement of selected grantees – work on the projects may begin.
- November 10, 2021 – All funded projects must be completed.
- December 8, 2021 – Deadline for after-action reports.
Installing a Connected Bike Trail Around Christiansted, Virgin Islands
To enhance physical activity and social engagement, VI Trail Alliance and Partners used this grant to install a permanent bike lane, with benches and bike racks extending around Historical Christiansted Town – the first of its kind on the island Territory. The project also included installing road signs, palm trees, and a unique “Story Telling Circle” bench area.